Skip to main content

From a Fishbowl to a Fabulous Master Bedroom

When a new client comes my way, I listen to them talk about the room that is being considered for custom work.  The beauty of my job is to create a design that addresses their needs and concerns.  I enjoy getting to know them, their likes and their dislikes.  It all plays into the design.
Two arched windows--one on each side of the bed.
Twelve feet wide and facing west.
Two more windows-each 6 feet wide.
This beautiful home is filled with beautiful windows.  The master bedroom is large, grand and well proportioned.  The windows are in abundance.  The homeowners want to have the luxury of "sleeping in" on Saturday morning, if possible.  So my work begins.  Total coverage is the bottom line.  Now that is a lot of fabric and a lot of draperies.  

They selected fabrics for a complete bedding ensemble.  From there we selected fabrics for the draperies and for a touch of interest--I created a valance with lots of detail.  Placing the slightly undersized valance around the top of the room brought some continuity to the room, as each window was a different shape and size.  The technical application is a challenge.  I have some great installers and that makes my job a bit easier.
The bedding consists of a duvet cover constructed from embroidered fabric, trimmed in a silk cord and has a down insert.  The fabric was selected as a compliment to the Karistan rug.  The shams are made from quilted, embroidered silk, accent pillows are from solid colored silk taffeta and the final personalized touch is a monogrammed roll pillow.

Luxurious sleeping happens when you have luxurious bedding.  Just a personal "feeling" I try to weave into every bedroom suite I create.
The window treatments are installed and the room begins to be transformed from a fishbowl to a warm and inviting room.  Great place for a nap--even on a sunny day.  We have conquered the abundance of light with the block out lining.

One special request from the homeowners was to find a way to protect the nightstands from harm while placing books or a drink on them.  I fabricated custom dresser and nightstand runners edged in silk cord and placed a small detail of three covered buttons in silk on the drop down sides.  They are the perfect touch to complete this fabulous master bedroom.

Just another reason that custom designed work can really work for you.
The homeowners, Jeff and Sarah were wonderful clients.  They placed so much trust in me and made my job so much "fun".  Sometimes I don't want to tell them just how much fun I am really having; but inside I am saying, "I just love what I do."  A special thanks to both of them.

Comments

  1. Aren't good clients the best? Loved seeing your work - it all looks so great!! :-)

    Love
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Luggage tags

When it is time to travel, it is time to have a personalized luggage tag.  Happy Travels.

Kitchen Window Looks Complete

 The homeowners have a view from every side of their home.  It is beautiful.  Not much needs to be said or done when it comes to making these windows look great.  You enjoy the view so much, I think you might not even see the treatments.  However, I was asked to do the treatments for this home.  My son actually built this home.  It was a great project and the attention to detail is what makes this home stand out above the rest.  This is the kitchen window.  I kept the treatment simple as you can see.  Bold fabric, beaded trim, slight scallop all on tension rod. Breakfast room has two french doors in the bay that walks out to the patio.  Using the same fabric on black rods I made sure not to cover up the view in any way.  It was just perfect for the space.

Pink and Polka Dots

The French doors to this little girl's bedroom are lightly covered with sheer white dotted Swiss fabric. This creates a semi-private feel.  The girls are only 2 and 3 years old.  So parents peeking in once in a while is expected.   This room had two windows that balloon shades on a tension rod were installed.  Some sheer dotted Swiss panels were added to again create privacy for the girls.     The tie backs on the french doors were one of the stripes from the fabric turned and fastened in place. Over each bed a flowered corona was placed and sheer dotted Swiss panels and valance were hung.  Each girl sleeps in a big girl bed and feels like a princess.  The chandelier is pink and clear crystals.  Adorable!